{Skincare} Overnight beauty essentials


For a graduate student like myself sleep is precious and you are lucky to get a full eight hours every night of the week. For us, getting a good night's sleep is only part of the battle. Waking up with great skin in the morning can be several battles unless you thoroughly prepare your skin. The products you choose to use as you sleep add to the effect that a good night's rest will give you.

Your choice for a good night rest might include the obligatory eye mask and a moisture retaining facial cream, which are good to start with, or might include more luxurious products like an overnight face mask or brightening cream. My routine carries several of these based on the most immediate need of my skin.

I tend to shower more at night (unless I've worked out that day, then that happens right after a session) so my skin is usually prepped to go into a normal routine. Some nights I need a boost of moisture and elect to use Origins Drink Up Intensive overnight mask. Other nights when I'm not using the overnight mask I use the Indeed Labs Pepta-bright moisturizing serum underneath my facial lotion. This helps my skin look brighter and clearer in the morning. And, regardless of which routine I am using I dab a bit of Kiehl's Creamy Under Eye Treatment With Avocado Oil around the skin of my eye.

Additionally, on nights when I might have not followed the cardinal rule not to drink caffeine after 4:00 pm or when I'm not exposed to the normal light cycle of the day, I take an allotted dose of Melatonin to ease me into sleep. Melatonin is a hormone which is produced in your pineal gland in response to light input and contributes to your own sleep and wake cycle (circadian rhythm). Obviously, this shouldn't been used every night or dependently, since the long term effects of exogenous melatonin are not well know. Lastly, I sometimes use a simple eye mask to block out more light and to hopefully increase my natural production of melatonin.

I was inspired to post about my overnight skincare routine after reading a similar post on HSN by Carly Woods. Read her article to see her recommendations or find your own on their skincare section.

What is your overnight routine like? Do you do anything special to prepare your skin or for a good nights sleep? I'd love to read about what you do and try if possible.

XOXO,
Carolyn

Comments

  1. hey dear! hope you're doing great:)
    i've tried a sample of the kiehl's avocado eye cream because I wanted to try it out first before i buy the whole thing. but for me it didn't really work... i feel that the area under my eyes are super duper oily in the morning:(

    i don't do anything special before i go to bed... just using my 3 step system from clinique which is basically washing, cleaning and moisturizing the face.

    lots of love xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nee! I think just because of my drier skin is why it works better. I used the 3 step from Clinique before, I'd actually like to try it again.

      Delete
  2. My nite time routine is very simple :) I use my Clinique acne solutions and Clearasil Ultra :) Awesome blog !! xx
    www.ambifashion.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a great routine! =]
      Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I have heard a lot about Kiehls eye cream and origins moisturizer. Loved to know your routine. Loved your post and blog :-)
    http://naturelbellefemme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo, what a pretty eye mask!

    Before bed I usually just wash my face with rose water, and then moisturize with jojoba oil! So simple and it works wonders! If I'm feeling dry I put some raw honey on my face and let it sit for about twenty minutes before I wash it off - the best face mask ever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely post<3


    Would you like to follow each other on GFC, bloglovin? It would be great, just let me know :)

    Kisses,
    Maria from
    http://retrostreetstation.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for all your lovely words :]!

Popular Posts